F-1 | Dependent Information
F-2 dependents are defined as a spouse or an unmarried minor child (under 21 years of age) of an F-1 student. F-2 dependents:
- May not be admitted as a full-time degree seeking student
- May not be employed
- May enter the U.S. with or after the F-1 nonimmigrant, but never before
- Must have a Form I-20 every time they travel outside the United States
- May not remain in the U.S. after the F-1 student is absent from the U.S. unless the absence is temporary and is less than five months.
Inviting an F-2 Dependent
An F-1 student may invite his/her spouse or unmarried children to join them after arriving at KU by the following method:
- Complete an I-20 Request form
- Provide current evidence of financial support (bank statement, sponsor letter, etc.) for yourself and your dependent(s). Please view prices with the Undergrad cost sheets and the Graduate cost sheets.
- Submit completed documents to an ISSS advisor during walk-in advising hours.
An ISSS advisor will prepare the necessary SEVIS dependent I-20(s). The student's dependent(s) will then use the I-20(s), marked "for use by dependents", to apply for an F-2 dependent visa at an U.S. Embassy or his/her home country.
When the F-2 dependents arrive in the U.S., the F-1 student should bring the dependent's travel documents (passport, visa, I-94, I-20) to the ISSS office for photocopying.