J-1 | Dependent Information
J-2 dependents are defined as a spouse or an unmarried minor child (under 21 years of age) of a J-1 student. J-2 dependents:
- May be admitted as a full-time degree seeking student
- May be employed with proper work authorization granted by USCIS.
- May enter the U.S. with or after the J-1 nonimmigrant, but never before
- Must have a DS-2019 every time they travel outside the United States
- May not remain in the U.S. if the J-1 student is absent from the U.S. unless the absence is temporary (usually 30 days or less).
Inviting a J-2 Dependent
Any J-1 student may invite his/her spouse or unmarried children to join them after arriving at KU by the following method:
- Complete a DS-2019 Request form
- Provide evidence of financial support (bank statement, sponsor letter) for the entire stay of the J-1 and dependent(s).
Undergrad Cost Sheet | Graduate Cost Sheet
- Submit completed documents to an ISSS advisor during walk-in hours.
The student's dependent(s) will then use the DS-2019, marked "for use by dependents", to apply for an J-2 dependent visa at an U.S. Embassy or Consulate in his/her home country.
When the J-2 dependents arrive in the U.S., pPlease bring all DS-2019 documents, I-94s and family member passports to ISSS office for scanning.