Health insurance coverage is mandatory for all international students enrolled at the University of Kansas, regardless of their course load.
Beginning in Fall 2010, insurance coverage will be automaticaly included in international student tuition bills, and students will no longer be required to make separate payment arrangements.
Students will still be free to choose alternative insurance so long as their plan's coverage meets or exceeds the minimum requirements listed at the bottom of this page. To use alternate insurance, students must complete and submit waiver request form no later than June 17th, 2013. Once the waiver has been approved, a refund credit will be posted to the student's account. Please check your student account to confirm your waiver processing status. If your waiver has been denied, you will receive an e-mail from our office with an explanation for the denial.
The intent of the insurance requirement for international students at the University of Kansas is continuous coverage during and between academic terms. For more information, see the waiver process.
If you have further questions after reading the information provided by this website, please contact our insurance coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. The insurance coordinator may also be reached by phone at 785-864-3617 or fax 785-864-5244.
Read A comprehensive message about insurance from Charles Olcese, Director of ISSS, regarding KU Health Insurance Requirement for International Students.
Minimum Required Coverages
To obtain a waiver, students or scholars must present proof in the form of a signed certification that the conditions listed below have been met (please see the waiver process). This must be submitted with a copy of your insurance card and your policy's benefits summary page (in English).
- Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident
- Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per illness
- A deductible of $500 or less per individual, per policy year.
- Include inpatient and outpatient coverage for sickness and accidents
- Coverage of at least $10,000 for repatriation of remains
- Coverage of at least $15,000 for medical evacuation
- Coverage from at least 8/20/2012 (first day of classes) to 12/31/2012 (end of fall semester 2012), 5/31/2013 (end of spring semester 2013), or 7/31/2013 (end of summer semester 2013). Your coverage must always begin on or before the first day of classes and must cover until the last day of the last month of classes.