Health insurance coverage is mandatory for all international students enrolled at the University of Kansas, regardless of their course load.
Beginning in Fall 2010, insurance coverage will be automaticaly included in international student tuition bills, and students will no longer be required to make separate payment arrangements.
Students will still be free to choose alternative insurance so long as their plan's coverage meets or exceeds the minimum requirements listed at the bottom of this page. To use alternate insurance, students must complete and submit waiver request form no later than January 21, 2014. Once the waiver has been approved, a refund credit will be posted to the student's account. Please check your student account to confirm your waiver processing status. If your waiver has been denied, you will receive an e-mail from our office with an explanation for the denial.
The intent of the insurance requirement for international students at the University of Kansas is continuous coverage during and between academic terms. For more information, see the waiver process.
If you have further questions after reading the information provided by this website, please contact our insurance coordinator at email@example.com. The insurance coordinator may also be reached by phone at 785-864-3617 or fax 785-864-5244.
Read A comprehensive message about insurance from Charles Olcese, Director of ISSS, regarding KU Health Insurance Requirement for International Students.
Minimum Required Coverages
To obtain a waiver, students or scholars must present proof in the form of a signed certification that the conditions listed below have been met (please see the waiver process). This must be submitted with a copy of your insurance card and your policy's benefits summary page (in English).
- A minimum of $500,000 annual coverage with no lifetime aggregate limit (no per incident maximums)
- Coverage for essential benefits as defined under Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act – including pharmacy, mental health, maternity, preventive care, contraception – with no dollar limits
- A pre-existing conditions exclusion waiting period that is reasonable (9 months or less)
- A policy year deductible of $500 or less. Maximum total out of pocket expense (deductible plus out-of-pocket maximum) cannot exceed $10,000
- A minimum of $10,000 for repatriation and $15,000 for medical evacuation.
- A minimum of 70% coinsurance payable by the insurance plan to network providers. Emergency/urgent care only is not accepted for waiver
- Verifiable proof of coverage with student’s name (ID card, insurance policy or letter from insurance carrier – copy provided)
- Effective dates covering the entire period for which the waiver is requested
- Plan document(s) in English, with currency amounts converted to U.S. dollars, and an insurance company contact phone # in the U.S.
- Insurer has a base of operations in the US or has a US based claims payer