Coming to KU
Getting to KU
From the Airport to Lawrence
If you are flying in, you will need to connect into Kansas City International Airport (Code=MCI). The ride from the airport to Lawrence is approximately one hour. We encourage you to carefully view the choices below for reserving a ride to Lawrence before you arrive in Kansas City.
- KU does not arrange for student pick-ups from the airport.
If you are a new KU international student for the Spring 2014 semester, limited free shuttle transportation is available through a Lawrence community organization. Please email email@example.com with the following information:
- E-mail address
- Flight number
- Arrival date and time to Kansas City
You can make your own reservations with a commercial shuttle, a taxi, or a car rental company for transportation from the airport to Lawrence. Below is information about various companies currently connecting from the Kansas City airport to Lawrence:
- Better Alternative Transportation Services (BATS): $79 (cash) or $84 (credit card) for exclusive personalized, dedicated service for up to 5 people with door-to-door delivery to any location in Lawrence. Driver monitors flight arrivals and can meet passengers at the airport gate. Reservations must be made at least 2 days in advance by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or at least 24 hours in advance by telephone (1-913-634-5484). Visit www.kcibats.com for more information.
- Ground Transportation Services. (GTS): $50 each rider for basic shared-ride shuttle service with door-to-door delivery to any location in Lawrence. Town car service for $95 total is also available. For more information and the shuttle schedule, visit www.GTSLawrence.com or call 1-888-467-3729.
- 5 Guys Transportation: $90 one-way flat rate for a van that holds 1-6 people. 5 Guys Transportation provides a private door-to-door car service to or from Lawrence. A driver will meet you at baggage claim at the airport with a personalized signboard and will deliver you to your home, hotel, residence hall or any other location. For more information, call the office at 816-891-9999 or go to www.fiveguysshuttle.com to book your ride.
- Super Shuttle: $99 - $125 for a shared ride with door-to-door shuttle service for up to 10 passengers. For additional details, go to http://www.supershuttle.com, email email@example.com, or call 1-800-BLUEVAN (1-800-258-3826) toll-free from within the U.S.
- KCI Road Runner: $46 (may be more depending on amount of luggage) for shared ride shuttle service from airport to the Holiday Inn Holidome (200 McDonald Drive, Lawrence). Shuttle makes NO other stops in Lawrence, so riders must arrange for additional connecting transportation to their final destination. Call 1-800-747-2524 toll-free within the U.S. or visit www.kciroadrunner.com for additional information.
- SDM Transportation: Door-to-door delivery service in a four door midsized sedan from the airport to anywhere in Lawrence. $50 one-way for one person; each additional person is an extra $25 fee. Operating primarily in the early mornings, evenings, nights, holidays, all day Thursday service and on weekends. Please call 785-979-2428 and leave a message for a reservation or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Taxi Service:
Taxis are available through various taxi service telephones located at the baggage claim areas in each terminal and outside the terminal exits. Taxi service from the airport is very expensive, but it may be possible to share the ride with other people to reduce the cost. Before entering a taxi, establish the estimated cost with the driver.
Please note - All fares listed above are subject to change and may increase in the late evening/night. For any of these services, it is customary to tip the driver 15% of the charge.
- Rental Car: There is typically a minimum age requirement of at least 21 to rent a car (with a younger driver surcharge up to age 25), and drivers must have a license that will allow them to drive legally in the U.S. If you would like to rent a car, please see the car rental link on the Kansas City International Airport web page at http://www.kansas-city-mci.com/car_rental.php for options. Many companies require that the car be returned to their originating rental facility, so please be aware of this if you decide to rent one.
You may arrange for personal transportation from the airport through a friend or relative. Some of the campus student nationality organizations also assist students from their representative countries. A list of campus student organizations can be found at: https://rockchalkcentral.ku.edu/Organizations